- Searching for your roots?
- Don’t know where to turn next?
- Looking for a long lost someone?
- Know something we don’t?
We can help each other!
If you have any updates to add to our information, or if you would like to request information on your family history, click here. If requesting information, please note the fees below.
Sources of Information
Church Registers (from the late 18th to early 19th Centuries)
- Trinity Anglican Church, Digby
- St. Patrick’s Anglican Church, Weymouth
- Township books
- County Municipal Records
- Land grants
- Probate records
- Digby County School Registers
- 1784 Botsford & 1801 Hatfield Land Grant maps
- Nova Scotia Vital Statistics from Newspapers: 1769-1856
- Deaths, Burial and Probate of Nova Scotians: 1800-1850
- Sir Guy Carelton’s Book of Negros
- Carleton’s Loyalist Index: A Select Index to the names of Loyalists and their associates contained in the British Headquarters Papers, New York City 1774-1783 (CD)
- The Presbyterian Times (and Evangelical Advocate) 1848-1908 (8 volume set) Compiled by J & S. McCormick, Middleton, NS
- Early Vital Records of the Township of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia 1762-1811 (transcription of records)
- Some indices to Vital Statistics, Christian Messenger, etc. (compiled & donated by Wayne Walker)
- The Digby Mirror (hardbound)
- The Digby Courier: 1877-1978 (microfilm)
- Weymouth Free Press: 1901-1904 (microfilm)
- Bear River News: 1897-1909 (microfilm)
- Genealogies and charts
- Journals and Diaries
- Family files and publications
- Major family collections for approximately 4000 Digby County families
- Thomas Lynch Papers (microfilm)
- Michael Lynch Papers (microfilm)
- Cemetery inscriptions
- Funeral home records
- Census records: 1838, 1861, 1871-1891 (indexed), 1901
- 1864 Digby County ‘A. F. Church’ Map
Family History Binders – are continuously compiled and organized by a very dedicated group of genealogy volunteers. Hilma Woods, a long-time volunteer researcher, initiated this project. These binders have been over two decades in the making and they continue to grow. We welcome any family newspaper clippings, names, stories, etc., which would ‘round out’ your family’s binder. The binders are organized in alphabetical order. They are a wonderful resource if you already know some of your past family names and want to find more.
*Our genealogy resource room has over 4,000 surnames in it’s family binders.
Printed Pedigrees – are books that have either been donated to, or purchased by, the Genealogy Department.
Census Records – This information is available on microfilm, with some transcribed in book format.
Genealogy and History Books and CDs – Books and CDs are available for purchase in our museum Gift Shop and on our Gift Shop page located here.
Cemetery Records – offer invaluable information regarding burial sites in the Digby County area and the people interred therein.
A number of our cemeteries have been catalogued, including photos of monuments and inscriptions. This is an on-going project that requires a number of volunteers and time. If you are interested in cataloguing a cemetery within Digby County please contact us.
Fees and Services (Effective April 1, 2019)
E-transfer is accepted to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research (Done by staff) (Email, Phone or Letter) – $12.00 per hour, plus copies, postage/handling.
- In Person [Member] – $10.00 full day; $5.00 half day; $0.15 per photocopy.
- In Person [Non-Member] – $15.00 full day; $10.00 half day; $.25 per photocopy.
- Double sided copies will be charged per copied side.
Fees are subject to change. Check this site for current rates.
Special rates are available to members of the Admiral Digby Library & Historical Society.
For more information on memberships click here.
The Admiral Digby Library & Historical Society is a non-profit organization. As such, we rely heavily on donations from people like you! Receipts are issued for amounts of $10 or more upon request.
Send your cheque or money order to:
Admiral Digby Library & Historical Society
P.O. Box 1644
95 Montague Row
Digby, NS, Canada